Wednesday 7 June 2017

VIDEO GAME REVIEW: The Surge - Koch Media, Focus

Release Date: 19/05/17
Publisher: Koch Media

SYNOPSIS:

Set in a heavily dystopian future as Earth nears the end of its life, those who remain in the overpopulated cities must work to survive as social programs become saturated by an ageing population and increasing environmental diseases.

As the intelligence of technology incrementally increased over the years, many jobs for the human race had been made redundant, forcing Earth's citizens to head out into the suburbs seeking labour, aided by exoskeletons to improve their efficiency. The world of The Surge offers a very grim vision of the future, where the evolution of our technology, our society and our relation with the environment led to a decadent state of the Human civilization.

The Surge features innovative combat mechanics and an original character progression system based on modular upgrades gained through tight, visceral combat.


REVIEW:

To be honest, I'm a gamer who likes to take their time when playing, I like to make sure that I don't rush my review and give the game not only a fair play but also allow myself the chance to explore various options with the gear and items before deciding on my favourite combo for my style of play.

So after giving the game a huge amount of time here's what I have to say Firstly before purchasing there are a few things you have to know. The first and perhaps most important is that this is a title in which you will die, a hell of a lot. If you don't like that in a game bypass this title now. Secondly if you're a fan of this type of game and love a Sci-Fi post apocalypic future then this title is all the candy that you can eat and then some.

Yes the camera can be a little clunky in places but that beginning animation where you get set up for your suit is not only gruesome but oddly satisfying letting you know just how much you're going to have to go through.

I was hooked.

I loved a lot of the game, the way that the enemies upped in difficulty, how even the smallest foe could kill you and the way that you had to strategise for each combat prior to taking part, working out how to deal with multiple foes and their strengths and weaknesses. However my biggest gripe was if you found certain fights way to hard, the best you could do was up your power (which only gave you access to more "chip" slots and access to doorways and you have to settle for basic gear and couldn't upgrade it if you found fighting the bosses too hard to begin with.

Its damn frustraing and whilst a good many gamers will give up with their lack of progress it was a game that I did have a lot of fun with all in. Yes it took me a lot of time to get past that initial baddy but the high I got when I finally kicked his ass was immense. All round a solid game and whilst its going to be a marmite title for a good few gamers, I happened to love it. Magic

No comments: