Thursday 6 April 2017

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The End of the Day - Claire North

Release Date: 06/04/17
Publisher: Orbit

SYNOPSIS:

At the end of the day, Death visits everyone. Right before that, Charlie does.
You might meet him in a hospital, in a warzone, or at the scene of a traffic accident.
Then again, you might meet him at the North Pole - he gets everywhere, our Charlie.
Would you shake him by the hand, take the gift he offers, or would you pay no attention to the words he says?
Sometimes he is sent as a courtesy, sometimes as a warning. He never knows which.
The End of the Day is the stunning new novel by Claire North, author of word-of-mouth bestseller The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.


REVIEW:

Now to be honest I've not read Claire's work before now and I have to wonder why she wasn't on my radar sooner as this tale just pulled me in from the very beginning. I loved the way that she weaved the plot with cracking dialogue as well as great prose, however the real star for me was the way she brought her characters across, especially the principle player Charlie.

He shone for me from start to finish and I was so engrossed to find out what he was up to as well as how things would develop that I didn't notice time slipping away as I read page after page, chapter after chapter.

Its wonderfully inventive, a tale unlike any other and for me this unique outing really is a book that will stay with me for a long time. Magic.

No comments: